Lead paint is something that you do not want to have in your home. It’s toxic, and toxic substances cause health problems. Furthermore, the presence of lead paint also usually means the presence of lead-contaminated dust and soil. This is a bad thing, which is why it’s important to test for and then remove lead paint immediately.
Lead Is Unhealthy
Lead is a toxic metal that can cause a slew of health problems in adults and children alike. Children are especially susceptible to it. Even tiny levels of lead toxicity in children can cause permanent brain damage, hearing problems, slowed growth and anemia. It can also lead to seizures and a coma.
Lead accumulates in bones. During pregnancy, a woman’s bones released maternal calcium to help with the baby’s bone formation. This process also unfortunately causes the release of accumulated lead. This lead can find its way into the fetus, where it can cause reduced fetus growth, premature birth and a miscarriage.
Below is a more generalized list of all the symptoms and conditions associated with lead poisoning:
- Behavior problems
- Hearing problems
- Reduced IQ
- Slowed body growth
- Reduced sensation
- Reduced appetite
Lead Is Prominent
Lead is unfortunately a lot more prominent than many people realize. This is because it used to be common practice in America for homebuilders to use lead-based paint and lead pipes. Thus, many older homes contain lead components that continually leak lead into the home’s environment.
It is recommended that you get a professional lead inspection if you suspect lead to be present in your home. The reason for this is because the lead in paint and pipes can and does often leak out all over home. This means it contaminates dust and soil. This in turn means that a playful child could accidentally ingest it.
Lead can also find its way into your home courtesy of nearby highways. Highways typically feature a lot of car traffic. It just so happens that most cars emit the byproduct of lead gasoline. And as you can imagine, the byproduct of lead gasoline contains lead that can infect the soil around your home.
Featured below is a comprehensive list of all the places you might potentially find lead (especially lead paint):
- In wall paint that was manufactured prior to 1978.
- In the soil around your home.
- In the dust around your home.
- In your drinking water.
- If old painted furniture.
- In antique products.
- In ceramic products.
- In baseboards.
- In kitchen cabinets.
- In trims and sidings.
- In doors and door jambs.
The point is simply that lead is a lot more prominent than most people realize. And if you suspect that lead is in your home, you will need to get the entire home tested. If it turns out that lead is indeed present, then you’re going to have to invest in professional lead removal.
Lead Is Easy To Spread
Lead is especially a problem for homeowners who want to renovate their homes. If you intend to renovate, you absolutely must first test and remove any lead. If you mishandle lead paint, you could end up contaminating your whole neighborhood block with lead dust and paint chips. This is not only improper. It’s also unethical and inappropriate.
Plus, it makes no sense to renovate a home without removing lead. It would be a pseudo renovation, because the lead would still remain. If you are going to renovate, you might as well do the best job possible — and that entails removing any lead paint.